1/06/2014

Michigan Photographer returns to Minnesota for a session!

copyright McKindles Photography 2013
     In lieu of the horrible cold weather taking over Minnesota and Michigan, I thought I'd try to warm it up with highlights from a session I did last week while returning to Minneapolis for a day.  As I mentioned in a Facebook post that day, I could have shot Gracie AND this location all day long.  And thanks to my wife, we were able to keep to our schedule and get back on the road and NOT allow me to loose track of time.


     My family had showered my daughter with a car load of Christmas blessings, so, knowing this would happen in advance, and, clinging to as much time with my daughter as possible, it was our plan to drive back to Minnesota rather than flying and dealing with packing and shipping.  When I return to Minnesota, I try to let people from my once-upon-a-time home know that I'm returning in case anyone is interested in a session.  For weddings, it's easier to schedule or if that's not possible, I have a friend that is a great wedding and newborn photographer I can refer people to... but more on her in another post.

     Gracie had contacted me just after the last time I was in town, just missing a chance to work together and put together a headshot session.  I promised her I'd let her know as soon as I knew of the next time I'd planned on returning.  After a few emails, we had scheduled an early morning session and boy oh boy, am I glad.

     Gracie has such an incredible look, as far as I'm concerned.  She has this perfect skin tone that is beautiful to light, big, expressive eyes and hair that is so beautiful in color, cut and texture to photograph.  Also, Gracie is one of those people, as I learned during our session, that can tell me a great story with just her eyes, which makes photographing even more fun.

     I was concerned at the prospect of having to leave the location up to someone else.  A headshot session is different than a portrait session when it comes to location.  I knew it was too cold to shoot outside, so I had to leave it up to her to pick a location since I wasn't going to have time to search from 700 miles away under such short notice... you see, the tricky part is that it's not as easy to pick a location as you might think.  I can get a little picky about this because I want the location to be perfect for my client and I like to imagine shots before we even start shooting.  If I haven't seen the location, it's okay, but it just means that I have to take a little time to really "see" what we can do as I arrive.

     But Gracie nailed it!  I had looked into shooting at Union Station while I was still living in Minneapolis, but they were in the process of remodeling and when I inquired about shooting there, I was told that I wouldn't be allowed.  I'm now guessing it was because they didn't want anyone to see inside until they were finished.

     But oh my, did I love this place!  Such drama, beautiful light, interesting detail... As I was setting up, I kept saying "I could shoot here all day!"...and then the other side of my brain kept saying "yes...but you won't be so just stop there mister".

Taken from my phone, you can see be amazing design and light this room gave us!
     As you can see from some of the images, I secretly shifted from headshot session into portrait session and told Gracie "...this'll be the shot they use for your Minnesota Monthly feature!"  If I wasn't going to be there all day, I certainly wasn't going to leave without one or two shots that I wanted to take...
copyright McKindles Photography 2013

copyright McKindles Photography 2013

     I can't wait to get back to St. Paul to shoot more at the Union Station Location.  It's truly a beautiful location.  And thanks to a beautiful actress for making it happen!
 -Robb

(If you are interested in a session with me and in Minneapolis/St. Paul Area, give us a call...)

No comments: